Wednesday, April 1, 2009

What is Generic?

I've realized that some people may have no idea what exactly Generic is or how it really plays, so I'm going to talk about it a bit here.

As its title implies, Generic is a generic 2D adventure platformer similar to the Metroid/Castlevania series. You're probably saying something like ", but there exists so many of those types of games already!" Yea yea, I know. More or less, I enjoy these types of games when done well (Super Metroid / SotN) and I wanted to do something similar... though it probably won't be as good, ha ha.

Throughout the game, you control one of two characters: Gene and Ric (GeneRic, get it?).


You may switch between the two whenever you feel like, but for the most part, their attacks don't really differ and they don't have any unique abilities (as of yet).

You'll be fighting your way through various enemies while exploring a large interconnected world. There really isn't much of a story and there's no dialogue, so don't expect some kind of grand RPG-ish epic. Instead, the game focuses a little bit more on exploring and using Gene/Ric's attacks to maneuver through various obstacles. If anything, the best way to describe this is along the lines of a mash-up between Kirby Super Star and Metroid.

True to the style of the Metroid series, your characters start of with very few abilities. As you explore, you'll find new powerups that will unlock new attacks and grant you access to areas previously inaccessible.

I know it has been awhile since I've updated due to some college stuff, so I thought I'd make it up by releasing a preview. It's far from what the final product would play like, but it's got enough gameplay to hold on its own for now. I've left Netplay in, but I don't recommend using it as it still needs a lot of fixing. Also, Area 2 uses music from KSS as a placeholder. Enough chit chat, here's what you've been waiting for:

Download the preview! (Windows, 10.59 MB)

Enjoy! Now if you'll excuse me, I must return to my college independent study project.

20 comments:

  1. Thanks PHL. Downloading now... :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kept dying when I explored. I don't know if there's a second save point, but if there is, it's too damn far from the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea, there are multiple save points. The second one is somewhere along the path to the right from the starting area. The left path has no save points, just a Dash Attack power-up.

    Sorry about the difficulty since it still needs balancing, especially in the beginning when the lack of health makes it hard to even explore anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I... can't play it.
    I don't believe. Ugh. Why me.
    It only gives me a white screen full of squares...

    Help PHL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I searched the right side for about 20 minutes (before realizing what run even was >.>) while not finding anything except one teleporter and like 10 squares on the map...

    Also how long does this go?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Glenn Ein

    Are the squares black or white? In any case, Generic uses OpenGL for its rendering. Try updating your graphics card and see if that helps. If it's already updated or updating didn't do anything, then I really don't know what to do to help you. Sorry. :(

    @KsirestA

    Made a new blog post. Hope that helps you and anyone else having some trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, my graphics card really sux... But lol, I can play Cave Story just fine and judging by the sprites, this is purely pixel art.

    Do something PHL, you should make the game playable by a lot of computers (lol/jk)!!

    Really, though, I want to play this more than any other game today. Bah..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gah, now the boss is destroying me -.-;; There's no way I can dodge the charge attack (unless the power-up somehow helps me)

    ReplyDelete
  9. For the boss's charge attack (where he rams you), just duck under him. I really should make it more noticeable that you can dodge the attack that way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is there a noticable point where you've done everything you can do?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Probably beating the first mini-boss and getting the double jump. After that, there really isn't anything else except for exploring and collecting powerups and abilities.

    The main cut-off point is before the first true boss in Area 2. If you do happen to get there, it'll pop up some message saying something like "Thanks for playing, blah blah blah." I was going to include the fight, but I haven't fully finished / balanced it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm at the second save point of area 2 and I can't go anywhere else without dying x_x

    I'm guessing the boss is after the exploding maze (;-;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The exploding maze area leads to an ability.

    ReplyDelete
  14. http://ww w.youtube.com/watch?v=l8rrHbweizo&feature=channel_page

    Is there anything else I can possibly get in the preview? d:

    ReplyDelete
  15. First 2 parts are up, rest will be up likely within a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I played it for a little bit and I must say that I'm very impressed. I can't wait to see it as it comes along. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Why do I start at the begining of the game after continuing when I had touched two other save points before dying?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hmmm... I guess I didn't mention this in the readme, so it's a fault on my part.

    To save your game, you need to press the 'START' (default is [SPACE]) at a save point to bring up the save menu.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello, not sure what happened with Generic but I really love the style of it. If you read this could you please contact me? I'd like to learn from your experience if it's possible.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Is this project still going? it looks really wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete